Children’s Dentistry: The Keys to Protecting Your Child’s Teethby Dr. Lance R. Panarello
When searching for a dentist for your family, it is very important to find one that has experience and a passion for working with children. The dentists at Dental Health Care Associates offer children’s dentistry to give your child a positive appointment experience and ensure that your child’s teeth and gums remain as healthy as possible.
The Facts About Kids’ Teeth
- Children should begin seeing a dentist by their first birthday, or as soon as their first teeth come in. It is never too early to begin good oral health care habits. Like adults, children should have a regular checkup every six months.
- The health of your child’s teeth matters just as much now as it will when they have permanent teeth. Besides being used for eating and speaking, your child’s teeth reserve space in the jaw for the permanent teeth.
- Parents need to brush children’s teeth for them until about age 6, and should be supervised while brushing until about age 10.
Dental Checkups for Children
- During your child’s checkup, his or her dental and medical histories will be reviewed and teeth will be examined by an oral hygienist. You and your child will both have the opportunity to ask any questions or discuss any concerns you may have.
- We will check your child for ankyloglossia, or “tongue tied,” a condition in which the membrane that connects the tongue to the floor of the mouth is too short, which can hinder movement. This condition is best treated when it is detected early, which is one of the reasons it is so important to make sure your child begins going to the dentist at a young age.
- During his or her first dental appointment is an excellent time for your child to learn about oral hygiene. We will teach him or her how to properly brush and floss to promote oral health and prevent tooth decay.
- Your child will also receive a fluoride treatment during his or her appointment, which can help prevent decay.
A Positive Experience for Your Child
- At Dental Health Care Associates, it is our goal to establish a positive relationship with your child so he or she can develop healthy habits early on.
- We understand the unique needs of our very young patients, and we work to ensure that children are comfortable throughout their appointments. We do this by introducing ourselves, taking some time to get to know them, and explaining what we are doing in terms they can understand. It is our hope that by establishing these good relationships, our young patients will develop a lifelong habit of visiting the dentist regularly and maintaining their oral health.
Taking your child to the dentist is as important as taking him or her to the pediatrician. If you are searching for a family dentist who provides children’s dentistry in or near Aston, PA, we welcome you to visit our office.